Berl-IN, Berl-OUT

Look at that! I'm actually posting something on time!!! Like WHOA!

So last Monday, I decided I would go to Berlin for 5 days! So I booked a ticket! And less than 48 hours later, I was headed to Germany. I took the FlixBus, which included a ferry ride! It was ferry cool!

Route from Copenhagen to Berlin

After I arrived in Berlin, I immediately got lost. But like an hour later I found my way to my hostel. This place was super cool, you could say it was the opposite of hostile. I ended up just eating at the bar in the hostel.

Flammkuchen and Schöfferhofer

The next day was MUSEUM DAYYYYY!!!!! This was my favorite day in Berlin, easily. I walked to The Island of Museums and from 10 am until 6:30 pm (aka closing) I was exploring these amazing buildings. The first museum I went to was the Altes Museum, which has a very large collection of Greek, Roman, and Etruscan art from their respective empires. The audio-guides that come with the ticket are ear-resistible. But like s-ear-iously, if you go, make sure you get the audio-guide. Next I went to the Neues Museum. This is the museum with Egyptian art. It is unde-nile-able that these exhibits are breathtaking. Lastly, I went to was the Pergamonmuseum, which had amazing pieces of ancient Middle Eastern and Islamic art.

I'm really gateful I was able to see such stunning pieces of art.
Top Left: Replica of the Gates of Istar     Top Right: South Market Gate of Miletus
Bottom: Mshatta Facade

History day was next. I started by walking to Checkpoint Charlie. I wasn't very impressed with it. But across the street they had the history people who tried to climb the wall, which was very interesting and sad. Then I went to the Topography of Terror and the Remains of the Berlin Wall. The Topography explained how the fascist movement was able to gain so much power in a very short amount of time. It was a very powerful museum to visit. After spending a few hours there, I visited the Memorial to Homosexuals Persecuted Under Nazism and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. Then it was time to continue walking to the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag Building. Unfortunately I could not go in because you had to make an appointment before hand, but the outside was pretty dome cool.

The classical looking building on the right is the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag Building is in the back (it's the one with all the German flags on it)

After that, I visited the Memorial to the Sinti and Roma. I went to dinner at Tibet Haus (THANK YOU KAT FOR THE SUGGESTION!). It honestly was so tasty, that I was in a food coma after eating it. I ended up getting the Kathmandu Curry Chicken, but I do not think you could order anything bad from this place, I mean just look at it:

HimalaYES! This was fantastic food!

My last full day in Berlin, I spent exploring East Berlin. I walked along the East Side Gallery. Talk about amazing pieces of art.

Some of my favorite pieces along the wall

Each panel of the wall so different and beautiful. I could have spent all day there just looking at the different paintings. But, I had to eat. So I found a little Greek cafe for lunch, the menu was all in German so it was all Greek to me. After lunch I went to the Video Game Museum! It was so much fun! There is no history more interesting to me than video games, which actually started in the Middle Ages! I loved how interactive the museum was! Afterwards it was time to head back to the hostel and pack up and get ready to leave in the morning to catch my bus back to Copenhagen. 

To see my other pictures I took in Berlin click here!

Comments

  1. Thank you, thank you for the wonderful set of photos. They were absolutely fabulous. I didn't have any idea what Berlin would be like. Super interesting and I'm so glad you made the trip, Adventure Girl! Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, thanks for sharing your experience! The rural scenes remind me of Minnesota on a gloomy day. The architecture is just stunning. Love the East Side Gallery. Didn't realize that there were so many canals and find the buildings right on the water so fascinating. Makes me think my wet basement might not be such a big deal in comparison! So glad you found a doughnut shop and what appeared to be ice cream. But they're no Tim Horton's or Nelsons! :) Hope you keep sharing! XOX MN Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linsday - Any Hagaan Dasz flavors over there that you cannot get here?!
    Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment