I Didn’t Actually Practice Before Flying A Plane For the First Time. Thought I’d Just Wing It.

Welcome to my blog about my study abroad at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark. You will hear about my adventures exploring this amazing city and the other places I visit You'll also read about some of the "stupid" American things I do, especially since I do not read nor speak Danish, or as I like to call it Danishese. When someone starts speaking Danish to me, I just smile and nod, it works great. I also will include some travel tips or anything I notice that maybe helpful.

There is almost nothing I like more than traveling, but puns are a close second. So as a warning, every post will be punny and filled with as many dad jokes as possible.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter where you are in Copenhagen you will notice the massive amount of energy the Danes have. None of them are two tired to ride a bike.

Looks like some people need to get a handle on the rules!!!

I'll give you a brake from all the puns...you do NOT need a car for getting around. The public transportation system here is absolutely amazing. The buses, trains, and metro are easy to use and are much cheaper that gas here. Also parking does not exist. HOWEVER, if you get a Rejsekort card (a card that you can fill up with money to use the public transportation system), make sure you know which blue spot is the check in from the check out...don't try to check in on the check out spot, everyone looks at you like -_- . Ind is not the same as ud. The best app to use is Rejseplanen (also online here), I have it on good authority that ALL the Danes use this app.

This semester I am living in the Nordvest neighborhood of Copenhagen, on the border of Nørrebro. My room is the perfect size for one person. My kitchen is small but functional. The best part of my place is there is a Lidl grocery store right down the street. I do kinda miss the giant grocery stores in the US where you can buy everything you want in one store, here it's so lil that sometimes it's a hit and miss. 

No, my bed is not normally made. 

Tip of the day! When doing a study abroad, BRING COMMAND HOOKS! You can never have too many hooks, they really arrrrrrrrgggg helpful. As you can sea, I use them to hang up a blanket on my door because my door is a window that lets in waaaayyyyy to much light at night. Also, my hairy coo calendar is hangin' in there. (Another tip for people doing a study abroad: bring a roll of toilet paper with you because unless you are staying with a host family it is unlikely that your room will have one. Learned that one the hard way).

You may be wondering about the food here, and even after being here for almost two weeks, I don't know...oops. I mostly have been cooking for myself. However, today I went explorin'. I got on the metro after class and got off at a random stop and just started walking around. I gotta taco about it because I found an amazing taqueria. I ended up getting one of each type of taco. My favorite was the slow cooked turkey (the middle one).

I was caught between a guac and a hard place, so I tried all the tacos.

And afterwards I ended up walking home, here is my general route (from now on I'll keep my GPS on so Google Maps can track my route when I'm exploring):

3.6 kilometers or 2.2 miles

It is quite fun being able to just walk and not have a direction. You will find many hole-in-the-wall restaurants and stores. Also if you ever get lost, anybody on the street will be willing to help you and the majority of people speak English here. 

If you are in Europe from now until June, please feel free to contact me and we can see if we meet up! Connect with me through Facebook or Telegram.

Comments

  1. Oh, Lindsay, I love your blog! And the pictures! Thank you so much for setting this up and sending the link. I read it all - - and the puns are too darn funny. Your daddy is going to totally love them! And your sister. I even laughed, even though I'm not ordinarily in the club. I'm so excited that you're having fun. And, yay for taco Tuesday in Copenhagen! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, this is wonderful! I can't wait to read about all of your adventures in Copenhagen! Have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving all the puns!!! Sounds like you're having a great time so far! - Bridget

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I too am loving this! My life is all about living vicariously through others! Perhaps I should send you info on my relatives there and you can visit them for me?? Looking forward to more pictures and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lindsay. Sounds like you're having a great time in "Europe". See you when you return.
    Thinking of you as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment